CHANGING LIVES ONE STUDENT AT A TIME
Esperanza Academy Charter School has been serving the young members of its community for 18 years. The school started in the single hallway of a converted warehouse in 2000 and has grown into a multi-school campus. Enrollment has likewise expanded from an original freshmen class of less than 200 to a student body of 1,450 in grades 6 through 12.
In the fall of 2017, Esperanza Academy began the process of adding a K-5 elementary program.
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT
We have a proven track record of success.
- The graduation rate in the city of Philadelphia is approximately 57%. At Esperanza Academy Charter Schools, 94% of our students graduate on time in four years, and 68% of graduates enroll in college.
- In 2013, US News and World Report ranked Esperanza Academy in the top 9% of all schools at both the state and national level. We have been recognized by the White House as a best-practice model in a 2010 report produced by the President’s Advisory Council on Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships. See the report here.
We are successful with students who, on average, do not arrive with high rates of academic achievement.
- Enrollment is conducted by lottery, and most students come from the low-income neighborhood surrounding our campus. Our student body is 99.6% minority: 98.2% Hispanic and 1.4% African American.
- The poverty rate of the student body is consistently above 80%, based on percentages of students eligible for free and reduced lunch.
- Of the students, 19% speak English as a Second Language, and 16% have specialized learning needs.
- Most incoming freshmen come from public middle schools currently in Corrective Action, and the majority of freshmen enter with 5th to 6th grade literacy levels.
We are successful because of our commitment to a high standard of excellence for every student.
- During their academic career, all of our students must choose one of 16 concentrations, some of which are journalism, dance, visual arts, film, entrepreneurship, health sciences. We lead Philadelphia charter schools with the highest number of AP course offerings.
- Our extraordinary facilities include art, film, and dance studios, fully equipped science labs, and an auditorium for student performances.
- We offer robust student support services and individualized attention, including mentorship, tutoring, guidance counseling, and many after-school clubs and programs, such as sports, National Honor Society, choir, dance ensembles, and more.
- We offer dual enrollment with Esperanza College to help our students earn college credit early.
For more information visit EsperanzaAcademyCS.org
Sign-up for email updates!
301 W. Hunting Park Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19140
(215) 457-3667/ (267) 928-3539