Maria’s Restaurant has been a fixture along the Hunting Park 5th Street corridor, offering authentic Caribbean food at affordable prices since 1997. Together with her sons and local employees, she serves an average of 100 people each day. Maria closed the restaurant on March 16th due to the coronavirus, taking with it her family’s only source of income. Esperanza worked with Maria and her sons to ensure they could successfully apply for several small business grants and loans. Maria has received $7,500 in funding from the City of Philadelphia Commerce Department and The Merchant’s Fund combined. With these resources, Maria’s family will be able to resume their operations with safety precautions, and the area will benefit from Maria’s Restaurant’s longstanding presence and warm meals once again.
Sign-up for email updates!
- Wells Fargo Regional Foundation Announcement – Philadelphia Foundation YouTube Channel; Dec. 18, 2020 April 7, 2021
- Esperanza becomes the Second City Managed and Federally Supported Community Vaccination Center March 30, 2021
- Enfoque: regreso a clases seguro -Telemundo 62; Feb. 21, 2021 March 24, 2021
- We Need SEPTA to Clean Up, Not Close Up March 18, 2021
- Esperanza Statement on Capitol Building Events January 12, 2021