In the next month, Esperanza will be working hard to to improve the lives of children in Hunting Park by proving that an Esperanza education is like no other in North Philadelphia. We are dedicated to empowering Hispanic communities through education, and one way we hope to do this is by completing our educational pipeline to provide a seamless learning experience from Kindergarten to College. We already have Esperanza Academy Charter High School and Middle School as well as Esperanza College, but we know that primary grades are the most critical learning years in any child’s life. Show your support to make #EsperanzaElementary a reality for children in Hunting Park. Share your stories about why an #EsperanzaEducation can make all the difference!
The Esperanza Academy Charter High School Guidance Department offers a variety of services to students, parents and staff. The department consists of both school counselors as well as college and career advisers.
School counselors assist students with their academic, emotional, and social needs. Some of the main duties of EA school counselors are listed below:
- Meet with students to provide academic interventions when struggling with classes
- Provide guidance with course scheduling and assisting students with choosing a high school major
- Provide one-on-one counseling for acute and long term emotional issues
- Provide resources for outside interventions when necessary
- Conduct student-to-student mediation
- Meet with parents in order to provide resources to students with a team approach
- Provide crisis intervention counseling and resources
- Conduct group counseling sessions
- Assist teachers by observing students in class and providing resources and feedback
- Lead the SAP (Student Assistance Program) team
- Provide Student Success Skills programming for students, parents and teachers
Esperanza Academy’s Guidance Department is unique in that we have a full service college and career center which is open all day as a drop-in center for high school seniors. College and career counselors provide the following services to students:
- Assist high school seniors in the college application process from helping them make decisions in regards to college major and where to apply to sending out transcripts and other application materials.
- Arrange college representative visits to the high school campus
- Arrange on-campus tours to various universities and institutions
- Provide parents and students with financial aid and college process workshops
- Facilitate SAT and ACT sign-ups
- Assist students and parents with FAFSA and PHEAA applications
- Arrange job readiness, interview skills, and resume writing workshops
- Assist students with scholarship searches and applications
- Introduce underclassmen to the college process through classroom information sessions
The Esperanza Guidance Department is well equipped to provide services to the unique population of students in North Philadelphia. We are connected with community resources and agencies and work together with students, parents, teachers, and administrators in order to use a team approach to counseling.
Both the academic and emotional well-being of each student is important to staff at Esperanza Academy. That’s why we try to provide well-rounded guidance for our students. This kind of support builds confidence typically missing in students from communities like theirs. It is this support and confidence that we hope will carry them through lifelong success and encourage them to spread this support to future generations. That is the Esperanza opportunity: sustained success for Hispanic communities in North Philadelphia and beyond. This is why an #EsperanzaEducation makes a difference.