Esperanza College was founded in 2000, as a fully- accredited Associate’s degree-awarding branch campus of Eastern University. It is the only Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) in the state of Pennsylvania offering degrees in the following concentrations:
Accounting, Business Administration, Community and Human Services, Criminal Justice, Christian Ministry, Early Childhood Education, Mathematics, Natural Science, Medical Assisting, Middle Level Education
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT
Census data shows that people with college degrees have significantly higher earning potential than people with only high school diplomas. In the low-income neighborhood of Hunting Park in Philadelphia, Esperanza and Eastern University formed a partnership to give more community members access to higher education.
We have a proven track record of success.
- Esperanza College is the only Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) in the state of Pennsylvania.
- We have an on-time graduation rate of 65%, compared to the national average graduation rate of 15-20% for comparable two-year institutions (such as community colleges). About 50% of our graduates go on to pursue bachelor’s degrees and beyond.
- In 2013, Excelencia in Education recognized Esperanza College as a best-practice model
- We have also been recognized by the White House as a best-practice model in a 2010 report produced by the President’s Advisory Council on Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships. See the report here.
We are successful because we understand how to meet the unique needs of our student body.
- Our student body is around 99% Hispanic and African American. Over half of our students have children, and nearly half are the first in their families to go to college. Many are working full time while they attend school.
- We offer flexible class schedules throughout the day and during the evening, to accommodate students’ other responsibilities.
- Students who are limited in their English proficiency take ESL classes during their first year of credit-bearing courses, and transition into fully English-language instruction by their second year.
- Our cohort model allows students to form supportive relationships, and students are further supported by a robust Student Life department.
- Our excellent facilities include a library, fully equipped science labs, “smart” classrooms, and a Student Development Center. All students receive a laptop, which is included in their tuition.
We maintain an environment of academic rigor.
- Members of our faculty are highly qualified and extremely dedicated.
- In addition to our rigorous academic curriculum and robust student support services, we also develop strategic partnerships to help students access internship opportunities and other experiences that will help prepare them for long-term success in their careers.
- We stay connected to our students long after graduation!
For more information visit ESPERANZA.EASTERN.edu